Saturday, March 10, 2012

Debate: To make, or not to make...


We're studying Hamlet in school. :3

Anyways...
Not so much a debate, but much more a "I'd like to hear your opinions".

Are you a "DIY" kind of person? Do you buy DIY creations that others have made?

 I really love making things, but I've never bought homemade things from others. I always work to make my own, original, work. Not that buying things from others is wrong. The reason why I make things myself is usually to get something I want, but don't have the money for. But honestly, it bugs me a little when people have booths at anime cons or Internet shops where they try to sell things at ridiculously high prices that they made for pennies. I feel like, in the spirit of nerd-unity, people should be more willing to trade ideas rather than just try to sell an item.

4 comments:

  1. I've always been a "hands-on" kind of person. When I was a kid, I would make all the furniture for my doll house and make clothes for my Barbies. Growing up in a low income household meant I just naturally thought of ways to save money and make things.
    I think in terms of buying other people's creation, it all depends. There are a lot of great designers on Etsy. I've been dying to get my hands on a cookie monster mug that holds your cookies. I would never be able to make such a thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah- growing up, I used to take wood scraps and make furniture for my doll house!

      Delete
  2. To play devil's advocate, what about art fairs? People who sell artwork, Tie-die, or other DIY things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as the prices are fair, I think it's fine. In my experience, the artisans at anime cons and Esty tend to set their prices much higher than they should be.

      Delete