Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Hearthstone Keychains

This is a pretty sweet and easy project for a snowy afternoon!

 You'll need black, blue, and white craft paint, a paper clip, and some air dry clay. I used a clay recipe out of a Kid Concoctions book I had when I was little. You'll need a cup of cornstarch, 2 cups of baking soda, and 1 and 1/4 cup of cold water. Basically, you combine all the ingredients and set them over medium heat for five minutes. It should thicken and turn to dough. It's a good dough because it's easy and safe for small children, but when it dries, it sometimes cracks. You could use it for this, but it's not my first choice. If you let them dry flat, only the backs will crack, and you can just fill the crack in with white glue.
 
 Grab a piece of clay that is the size of the stone you want to make. Remember- the bigger the stone, the longer it takes to dry. Add a little paint to the dough and kneed it in.

The colors will dry a little bit lighter than this.

 Flatten out your clay to make the stone. Put the paper clip in the top for the key chain.

 I used a tooth pick to outline how I wanted the swirl.

Roll the blue dough into a snake and create a swirl on top.

I let my stones dry for two days. I used a water based satin varnish to finish them. Apart from the drying time, this project takes maybe twenty minutes. I really like how they turned out! :3

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a DIY kind of person but ya won me over with hearthstone key chains. Epic!

    ReplyDelete